— (via findingnimah)
The ambiguity of The Miracle depends on your idea of what a miracle is, which depends on your belief of a God in relation to your understandings of the Natural Law. If you accept a miracle to be true, you are accepting that the Natural Law has been broken, in which case your understanding of the world is not one of the Natural Law but of Divine Intervention, rendering your ‘miracle’ not so miraculous.
— Ibn Taymiyyah (via rainydaysandblankets)
Qualifications to play the game:
1. Jesus is the only Significant Other.
2. Must not be in a relationship with the non-significant other (NSO)
3. Must be only playing the Undating Game with one NSO
3a. Said NSO must also be dating Jesus
3b. and no one else
Official Rules of The Undating Game:
1. Strictly no cuddling
1a. Always make room for the Holy Spirit
1b. Although prolonged hugs are acceptable
1b (i). Hugging is acceptable for hello’s, goodbye’s, on particularly bad days. Sporadic hugging is a no.
2. No kissing. No exceptions.
3. Hand holding is acceptable only when pulling others up and praying in groups.
4. Extended one-on-one time is discouraged, but all forms of electronic communication are okay.
5. Praying with the NSO is like spiritually making out; however, certain circumstances can provide exceptions.
6. The term ‘friendship’ is awkward, but the word ‘relationship’ is only to be used sparingly.
6a. Use neither in introductions.
7. Flirtation is acceptable, but being thirdwheelable always comes first.
8. Sharing music is encouraged but only Jesus music (because we all know Jesus has to be the center).
9. No formal parent interaction, but you should know about the NSO’s family.
10. No talk about dating or marriage, though talk about one’s future is encouraged.
11. No double dating with an official couple.
12. It is acceptable to grab meals
12a. but NO meals off-campus, unless in group settings (also in compliance with rule 11)
13. Gift giving is overboard, but words of encouragement are not
13a. Excluding gifts of time and availability
14. When having a discussion it is important to not sit too close together on the same couch.
15. Nothing good happens past 2 AM
15a. Exception being conflict resolution (also serving as an exception to 1b (i))
16. If your friends’ questions progress from ‘do you like each other’ to ‘are you dating yet’ then you have lost the undating game.
17. Never do or say anything with the NSO that you will be ashamed to confess in accountability.
18. Mutual vulnerability is a must, but ONLY WITHIN appropriate emotional boundaries.
19. No going to parties together, even to minister to drunken friends
19a. other types of service together are highly encouraged.
20. When you see the NSO, it is important to look and smell good (in case of 1b).
20a. but not so good as to become a stumbling block
20b. however, it is important to balance that with the occasional sweatpants appearance so as not to seem so perfect as to become an idol.
21. Absolutely no dumping friends for the NSO
21a. even losing the Non-Dating Game does not qualify as an exception.
The ultimate goal: No dating. That’s just awkward. No falling in love, either, because you have to guard your heart. And it’s awkward.
Scripps Archive Gem, 1937
From one administrator to a dorm mother:
“Jane” has eloped with “James,” Pomona student, last night in Tijuana at 3 AM. I...
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”— Stephen R. Covey (via birthofasupervillain)
The way US handles other countriesUS Government: So we heard you needed our help?Africa/The Middle East: No, we're fine.US Government: We really think you need our help.... ...
“If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk in my garden forever.”—
Lord Alfred Tennyson (via setbabiesonfire)
I like being an archivist for Scripps!
- I found letters from the ’30s about girls going in their Station Wagons together. And letters from the...